As of all works published in or after 2020, the University of Illinois Press has a publication policy and agreement letter that all author will need to sign. Please see it attached here for all questions about their publication policy.
Grant of Rights to Dialogue
The Author grants Dialogue the following rights to the Work:
- Exclusive right to first publication and distribution of this item in print, including its revisions, editing changes, proofreading corrections, etc., as may be mutually agreed upon by the author and the Journal editors;
- Non-exclusive permission to re publish the Work in print or in a commemorative collection or in a special commemorative issue of the Journal.
- Non-exclusive permission to republish the Work in digital form through use of electronic storage and search capabilities (such as the Internet, or a DVD or other electronic media), or on Dialogue’s website or the website of an archival service, alone or as part of a larger collection.
- Non-exclusive permission to prepare and publish translations or abstracts of the Work. The non-exclusive permission granted by clauses (2) and (3) above applies to any such translation or abstract, is perpetual, and applies throughout the world.
- Permission to authorize copies of the Work to be made for classroom and other use with appropriate citation of the facts of original publication.
Dialogue recognizes that the Author retains all other rights to the Work not specified in this agreement. The Author agrees to include the facts of the Work’s original publication by Dialogue in any later republication of the work by the Author.
The Author represents that he or she is the sole creator of the Work and has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and make the grants laid out herein. The Author agrees to make known to Dialogue any previous publication of the item or of any part of it as a condition for negotiating for its acceptance. If this item or portion of it has been previously published by an entity that thereafter holds copyright, the Author will submit permission to reprint in writing and the credit line as specified by the copyright holder.
The Author certifies that the Work does not constitute a libel, slander, or other defamation of a person or entity. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Editor, Dialogue and its officers, directors, and members against all claims, actions, damages, judgments or other losses arising from a breach of any of the Author’s representations or agreements herein. This paragraph shall survive termination of this Agreement.
Remuneration by Copies of the Journal
If the Work specified by this agreement is an article, essay, story, photograph, work of art, or other document of substantial length, the Author shall receive two free copies of the issue of the Journal in which the item appears. Subject to availability, the Author may also purchase from Dialogue additional copies at the wholesale price. If the item is a poem or book review, the Author shall receive one free copy of the issue of the Journal in which the item appears. Subject to availability, the Author may also purchase additional copies at the wholesale price. All other contributors, including those writing letters to the editor, will not receive free copies. The author understands that there is no other remuneration.
Creative Commons License CC BY-NC-ND