Call for Submissions: Should The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Apologize for its History of Racism?
January 31, 2023
Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought is sponsoring a roundtable on the theme of whether The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should apologize for its history of racism. We are seeking thoughtful and thought-provoking submissions that address this issue from a variety of angles.
Possible topics for papers might include:
• How to assign responsibility for past actions
• The relevance of the past to the present and future
• The psychological and social impacts of apologies
• Comparisons to successful and unsuccessful examples of apologies from other institutions
• Personal reflections on the meaning of this question for the respondents
We encourage submissions that approach this theme from a variety of viewpoints and that engage with the broader social and historical context of racism within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Submissions should be between 2000-3000 words in length and should submitted here by March 15, 2023.
We look forward to receiving your submissions and to engaging in a meaningful and productive conversation on this important topic.